ansteorra V1 #47

cmwalden at bga.com cmwalden at bga.com
Tue May 23 07:19:27 PDT 1995

>From: rferrell at bga.com (Robert G. Ferrell)

>The business of court would be more
>suitably served, in my humble opinion, by striving to do justice to the poor
>and oppressed than by frivolous edicts against games of chance.
I must protest thy siting of Shove-Groat as a game of mere chance.  Unlike
many other games with which a gentleman may squalor his time, Shove-Groat is
a marvellous game of skill, where by one may gain great knowledge in the
practice of it's playing.  It requires great concentration and a steady hand
to propell a coin into the chosen bed without granting points to thine
opponent.  It is as unlike games of chance such as dicing as Nine Men's
Morris or Chess.

>     While I have had no particularly bad experiences with Shove-Groat,
If thou wouldst, I have come upon a wonderful board for the playing of
Shove-Groat.  It is not pleasing to the eye, and is actually of rather crude
craftsmanship, but it is even with beds that are fairly spaced.  I would be
pleased to test thy metal at a game.

> I know of at least one man attached to the court in Anjou who did himself in
>after a disastrous loss (not played, to my knowledge, at court),  may God
>rest his soul. I suspect that such a man would be equally likely to come to
>a bad end no matter his pursuits, however.  The French are a passionate race.
Indeed such a man would doubtless come to a bad end.  Although I am certain
that his death was the result of a deeper dishonour than the loss at his
games.  If so, then it is most likely better that he should mete his end
sooner, before he dishonour those who are close to him.

As for the passion of the French, I can testify to that truth.  I have made
my home in France these past eight years.  But I would say that their
passion is not without cause.  The Holy Wars have made many lost.  Duelling
has become very common among the young, but not as we know it.  Many a young
frenchman has lost his life for the cut of his doublet rather than a truly
honorable cause.

I shall look forward to shoving a Groat with thee.

I remain Yours, etc.
Antonio Bastiano
or cmwalden at bga.com