Early Percussion Instrum

Mark Harris mark_harris at riscgate.sps.mot.com
Tue May 23 16:13:20 PDT 1995

        Reply to:   RE>Early Percussion Instruments

>I have recently made the acquaintance of a woman who writes books which talk
>about the history of percussion instruments from about 900 CE through around
>1750 CE.  She was quite erudite, and she has been known to give talks on the
>subject.  It occurred to me that this would be a wonderful thing to have at
>King's College, but I don't know who to put her in touch with (if anybody).

I, for one, would love to hear this lady speak on this subject. I don't do
any
drumming but I'm interested in all sorts of things. This is the reason I
started
a monthly A&S class when I was baronial A&S Minister several years ago.

>If someone can speak authoritatively on a period subject, and is not an SCA
>member, do we invite them to speak?

We have. For instance, we brought in an outside speaker to teach stained
glass
working in the baronial A&S class because there wasn't anyone in the barony
who knew how who wanted to teach.

>Can they be paid, if the material is captivating enough?

It has been done in other kingdoms, but I don't know about Ansteorra.

>I don't even know when and where King's College will be
>held this year.

I think it is still to be decided. The idea of putting in a bid by Bryn
Gwlad was discussed recently. It is an event I have considered
autocrating for several years. For instance, I'd love to have a string
of classes taught in persona similar to the ones taught at the
Enchanted Grounds at Pennsic. I'd love to have some period cooking
classes scheduled around lunchtime.  I'd like to have SCA classes
(how to be an autocrat) as well as craft classes.

What would other people like to see? What would you come for? What
would you Not come for?