college

Patricia Horton horton at dhostwo.convex.com
Fri May 26 08:55:41 PDT 1995

There are two things here. There are colleges and A&S events. A college is NOT
just teaching A&S. As noted here you can teach Ansteorran History, I have
run classes on SCA history, structure etc. I have run Seneschals classes etc
at colleges. Yes, there are A&S classes as well, but King's College is
a forum for all sorts of interesting classes not just A&S. We have two
Kingdom Events... Kingdom A&S and Kings College.

Historically, Kingdom Seneschals can't get groups to volunteer for hosting
these two events! I have placed cries for groups to run host these two
events at least 4 times in this last year. I now have a monthly, here are the
kingdom events that are not scheduled paragraph. Kingdom A&S and King's College
typically loose money and groups don't like that. I have found a big problem
is Ansteorrans don't like to TRAVEL for these events. They may consider going
if it is close by and there is not a tournament scheduled on the same weekend.

Colleges and A&S events need to be held indoors, many groups have trouble
finding indoor sites. This Kingdom is used to camping events, not one day
indoor events. You ask why indoors? Most people who come to teach want overheads
blackboards etc. People don't want their fancy A&S displays out in the elements.
They are one day events. So if you TRAVEL to the event, what do you do about
crash space. These events are a whole different thing to host, making it
tougher for many groups who are used to not haveing to worry about feasts,
crash space etc...  Other Kingdoms, especially those up north hold nothing but
these one day, indoor type events. People are used to traveling to them in
those kingdoms. I really think it is a logistical/cultural thing here. It is
just not the type of event we typically do, and they do loose money.

What is the answer? A group really needs to WORK at King's College or Kingdom
A&S. You need to find the right site, with lots of classrooms, a hall
(Air conditioned) for A&S displays etc. It would be nice to have a seperate
hall for a feast, and keep it simple and identifiable. Have "period" dishes
for those who may want to try it, but allow most to simply eat. Plan for
crash space, advertise it and make it available. In the northern Kingdoms
most of the group members volunteer to put up the people who have to travel
and can't get back home after the day is over. Post revels at these people'
homes are fun, you get to meet people, sing, talk etc... Accomodate those that
need to travel to a one day affair with no camping. It is almost like planning
a large modern wedding. People coming in from all over, planning on being
entertained for the day, and needing some place to crash for the night. You
plan for this quite differently than getting a camping place for the weekend,
where you do not need to keep everyone 100% entertained, they worry about where
they spend the night, and how to feed themseleves.

So... why can't I get bids? 1) as we run these things now, they loose money
2) they are different than our weekend camping events and we need to be
more accomodating to those who come, so it is more work and something a group
is not used to doing. 3) People in this kingdom are not traveling to these
events, partly because of the offerings and lack of accomdating. All in all
it is quite a different affair and groups are not volunteering. It is not for
a lack of trying on the Kingdom Seneschal's part to get bids...

What the GOofS are finding is the regional A&S and Colleges are WORKING. The
travel issue is solved, they are smaller and regionalized and don't loose
money. I like the idea of making colleges regional. I would still like to
see a Kingdom A&S occasionaly, but think in order for college type events
to happen in this Kingdom it will need to be regional. Teachers are willing
to travel, attendees of these type of events don't. Thomas and myself want
to get the populace excited about regional colleges as a place to start. As
a place to get these things off the ground in this kingdom. We need colleges,
to share ideas, train new officers, learn a bit of our own history etc...
I personally love going to colleges.

Well I have rambled enough. I would LOVE to get a bid from Bryn Gwlad for
King's college.... (HINT, HINT).

Maire
Kingdom Seneschal Ansteorra
~p