ansteorra V1 #46

SBAIRRINGTON at TCMAIL.FRCO.COM SBAIRRINGTON at TCMAIL.FRCO.COM
Tue May 23 08:12:33 PDT 1995

Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 08:17:43 -0600
To: ansteorra at eden.com
From: n.b-reid at mail.utexas.edu (Nancy Bradford-Reid)
Subject: Re: ansteorra V1 #46
Sender: owner-ansteorra at eden.com
-------------- next part --------------

Most honorable and wise Antonio, Pray enlighten this backward Frank.  Just what
is Shove-Groat.  Does it take strength as well as wits?

Your Confused Friend
Ulrike

Ah, and fair friend, thy game is distraction as well.  Well done, Antonio,
and thank you.  Please elaborate on this Shove-Groat.  Being exiled to
Florence from my beloved England is entertaining, but oft times, we need
the distraction of just such divertisement.

And unto your fair lady send greetings from me,

Catherine Harwell

>>Last night I had the misfortune of losing over thirty-five pistoles against
>>an excellent opponent of Shove-Groat.  It is my understanding that this
>>gentlemanly game is to be banned from the court of England and I fear that
>>this trend shall carry over into the courts of other countries as my
>>original home of Italy, and my current home of France.
>>
>>Shove-Groat is obviously a game of skill, unlike many of the games played
>>with cards or dice that are simply trusting one's money to blind and fickle
>>luck.  Though I shall certainly feel the loss of my thirty-five pistoles, I
>>must bow to the greater skill of my opponent who won them from me.  Given
>>time I shall return the favour to him.  I heard rumour that the censure was
>>begun as the result of an unfortunate game between a Royal and a more
>>skilled player.  The official story, however, is that the game is too
>>distracting from the business of court.
>>
>>I remain Yours, etc.
>>Antonio Bastiano
>>or cmwalden at bga.com

(Chris, you will get this twice, sorry.)

Nan Bradford-Reid
Department of English
The University of Texas
512-471-4991