Shinai in Ansteorra

Russell Dickerson dickerso at celsvr.STORTEK.COM
Thu Nov 16 11:08:43 PST 1995

At 12:06 PM 11/16/95 -0600, you wrote:
>  Are you implying that the basket hilts I often see on heavy
>weapons are even close to period?   How about carpet armour, soccer shin
>guards, helms made from spun pots, and army boots?  Why is 1601 so much

Funny, I see most of the above employed by fencers as well.  The fact
that mundane armor requirements interfere with period armor styles is
really moot.  I doubt that folks stopped to don fencing masks before
dueling to the death either.

>less acceptable than 1995?  I do not care for Cavalier styles, but good
>Cavalier is preferable to bad Viking.

Not really.  Thats like saying a clearly post-period portrait is superrior
to a badly done in-period portrait.  At least the second is attempting
to fall within the stated rules.  There is also the fact that the Cavalier
is from a better documented time.  I would expect that someone could
recreate something from the Reniassance better than the 9th century.  Just
try to find a decent excample of 6th century leatherwork.  They exist,
but there are few of them and most of their detail is lost.

Russell
--
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Russell Dickerson | StorageTek Customer Emulation Lab | Louisville, CO