Fwd: Smalls

Pug pug at arlut.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 28 12:20:15 PST 1995

> In reading a Random House Ditionary of the English Language, the deffination
> for small is as follows: of limited size; of comparatively restricted
> dimensions; not big; little. it goes on to state: young, esp very young.

And it's an "adjective" and not a noun as well.

> Further reading brought me to this: small-clothes: small personal item of
> clothing, as underwear, handkerchiefs, etc. Knee breeches, esp. the
> close-fitting ones worn in the 17th, 18th, and early 19th centuries.

Yes, it could be out of period, this depends on your dictionary though.

> Therefore, I feel that I have every right to call my child a small,

And you could call them "a shy" as well. It doesn't mean it's correct or
makes sense.

> and to
> have everyone understand what I mean. The first place I heard a child
> reffered to as a small was in the S.C.A. Maybe someone should have a class on
> proper wording for our (?) times.

You're right, we should. Unfortunately the terminology is too entrenched
in the "mainstream" SCA, and some of the incorrect usages appear in the
little flier that the Corporation mails out to it's members.

Not that I use compeletely correct usages, but I understand the reasons
why, and want to ween myself from incorrect ones.

Ciao,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something
pug at arlut.utexas.edu  |  beautiful poems. When ever shall we meet again?"