Squires

Kevin Varner kmv at abm.austin.tx.us
Fri Nov 3 06:11:29 PST 1995

> At 10:54 AM 11/2/95 PST, you wrote:
> >Do you make your squire's belt or do you ask them to make it themselves?
>
> Ches, although we never quite seem to see things eye-to-eye I'll respond as
> a squire.  I received my first belt from my knight in 1980.  It got lost in
> a move and his lady replaced it for me.  That one was destroyed by water
> damage and i have yet to provide a suitable replacement (I have a custom one
> planned).
>
> >What kind of artwork do you put on the belt, your device - their device -
> kingdom?
>
> On my belt at the tip of the tongue is a symbol related to my knights
> device, I have seen in Caid and the west a few that have a kingdom icon &
> their knights device, and I have seen those that are un-marked.
>
> >Do you have a ceremony for the belting?
>
> In my own case, there was no cerimony, but that was 15 years ago.
>
> >What do you look for in a squire?
>
> Heh, I feel funny answering this one.  Dedication.  A squire is dedicated in
> many ways.  Fighting and the art of fighting.  Persistance and the ability
> to keep trying even at great odds.  Friendship, a squire is a close personal
> bond with his knight.  They have to work together and learn from each other,
> these two will be in close situations and events for many years.  Honor to
> duty and civility, I no longer have a knight because he died, however this
> does not preclude me from the duties I was charged with.  I am his squire
> 'til death take me or the world end' as the oath I took goes.  Well, I'm
> still alive and it appears to be the same world.  I am his squire and shall
> do duty in his name.
> This is not as easy as it may sound, what duties do you do for someone who's
> not there?  Some knights (or non-knights) go to events and they have
> squires, sometimes the squire is unable to attend, I try to fill in that gap
> for my fellow squires in aiding that knight or fighter as best I can and
> still discharge other household or event duties I may have.  I must dedicate
> myself to service of the group as a whole and to any station or office I may
> hold and I do so in honor to my knight.  To serve thoe whole is to serve him.
>
> >How many squires do you limit yourself to?
>
> My knight had only one, but he did speak of 3 as the most he could deal with.
>
> >How do you feel about Knights that have too many squires?
>
> I feel that the squires may not be fully able to benefit from service if
> there are too many.  Part of being a squire is knowing you are the chosen of
> a knight and therefor special, it is somewhat defeating to be 'just another
> squire' of a throng.
>
> >And, what constitues too many squires?
>
> That can only be up to what the knight is looking for IN a squire.  If the
> knight is in a Household of squires the more the better for him, but it
> loses the charm for the individual squire.  My own knight said 3 would max
> [...]
  Lord Crispin,
     My compliments on your dedication and loyalty. The ethos you have written
  of is being heard of less and less these days. The more the pity.

     My curiousity is up. As you now act as a squire-at-large (so to speak)
  is there any particular knight who you now look to for guidance. This is
  meant formally or informally. If so, what particular qulaities or attributes
  drew your attention? (oh boy - I just at my spelling! The word is qualities!)

  In service,

  Duncan Mac Connacher na' Dunheath
    Cadet to Don Tivar

  (kmv at abm.austin.tx.us)