Judging

Aodhan Ite an Fhithich aodhan at dobharchu.org
Thu Nov 2 19:08:23 PST 1995

Dia duit!

 [Replying to a message of James Crouchet  to All]

 JC> It seems to me there is not a right or wrong way to judge a
 JC> competition,  as long as all know the parameters ahead of time and
 JC> all is done  aboveboard.

 JC> It is important to remember, however, that different types of judging
 JC> serve different purposes. If you want fighters or musicians judged on
 JC> their expertise, get experts to judge.

Likewise for any other craftsman...

 JC> If you want to judge the general entertainment value of a fight or
 JC> song,  get the audience to judge.

The experts do not know what is entertaining??

 JC> If you want to honor the musician or fighter, have the Crown, the font
 JC> of  all honor, judge.

Do you not feel honored if the experts tell you that you have done good work??
Do you not feel honored when the audience applauds your performance or your
victory (or even a showy death)??

Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

Aodhan
Baron Aodhan Ite an Fhithich    aodhan at dobharchu.org
Master of the Laurel            Lough na Dobharchu' BBS  1-713-338-2570
Dobharchu' Herald               "Your Information Roman Road"
mka David H. Brummel            1:106/22
SCA Member 02245                Barony of Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra
http://www.phoenix.net/~dbrummel (soon to be moving...)
plummety sable and argent on a sun of eight rays or a feather bendwise
sinister sable