The victorian filter

R.Michael Litchfield litch at eden.com
Tue Nov 7 10:01:35 PST 1995

>>Great!  But what does 19th century art have to do with the Middle Ages and
>>Renaissance?  Just curious?  <G>

Actually I the 19th century has a lot more to do with what the sca is and
does than the middle ages. What The SCA does is much closer to  the
Midevial re-enactments of that period than the actual period we claim to be
about. Look at our concept of "chivalry", it is patently more victorean
than the period constructs. Our attitudes towards children (the phrase
"walled garden" ring any bells?).

We rarely if ever see the actual middle ages, what we usually see is some
vague have of history through victorean glasses with fantasy premises.

-Michael