Combat archers WAS Re: Shinai in Ansteorra

Mordraut Freyulf mordraut at moritu.com
Tue Nov 14 06:33:49 PST 1995

On 14 Nov 95 , Mark Harris shaped electrons to state:

> If however, the weapons used in shinai can be adapted to be used with European
> fighting styles, then I would welcome it. My feeling is that at this time,
> because of our armor standards, we only have the equivalent of the heavest
> armored calvary of the Middle Ages. This is particularly true of our archers
> who are forced to give up much of the mobility of the medieval archer by our
> requirements to wear the heavy combat minimum armor. It would be nice if our
> kingdom could have the "light" archers of some of the other kingdoms.

As both a fighter, and an archer, I will differ completly.  I believe
that I do not suffer much loss of mobility with the armor I wear,
unless I compare it to what I should have, as a Mongol.  If you want
to be an archer, it is possible to get light armor to wear for
mobility.  We do not need to go with the "light" archers, IMHO any
archer on the field should be able to accept a legal blow.  Also,
since we are now using Thistle Missiles, I would not want to be on
the field without legal armor.

Mordraut

|   Mordraut Freyulf  |I'm the imp of the perverse...          | Dark Horde |
| mordraut at moritu.com |  ..but knowing that won't help either!!|   Moritu   |