Shinai in Ansteorra

R.Michael Litchfield litch at eden.com
Tue Nov 14 16:04:27 PST 1995

>As a Minister of Arts & Sciences - I would like to nip in the bud the
>thought of Martial ARTS being placed under this office.

Really where would you place martial arts? What about tai chi?

> Shinai is a combative recreation.

So is chess

>I would like to reiterate that we are trying to recreate Western
>Europe - I have yet to find a reference to a Shogun fighting in
>Britain, Wales, Germany, etc...

We were not talking about a shogun fighting (though that would be just
barely within out period). We were talking about the martial exercise which
uses the shinai.

If you want references, I suggest reading italian, Marco Polo

>On another note... I have participated in Shinai fighting in another
>kingdom - it was fun and had minimum armoring requirements.  But I
>would not like to see it offered at an SCA event.

And lots of people didn;t want to see fencing at SCA events.

> ------- Forwarded Message Follows -------

IF YOU ARE GOING TO INCLUDE SOMEONE ELSE'S WORD THAN USE THEM! Don't just
hang them on the end of your post because you are too lazy or stupid to
remove them.

-Michael