Shinai in Ansteorra

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Thu Nov 16 11:26:40 PST 1995

At 12:06 PM 11/16/95 -0600, you wrote:
>  Are you implying that the basket hilts I often see on heavy
>weapons are even close to period?   How about carpet armour, soccer shin
>guards, helms made from spun pots, and army boots?  Why is 1601 so much

Funny, I see most of the above employed by fencers as well.

Interesting. I don't remember seeing any of these, with the possible
exception of the army boots, being employed by any rapier combatants.

When pray tell, have you seen carpet armor, soccer shin guards or spun
top helms used for SCA rapier combat?
<<<<

 The fact
that mundane armor requirements interfere with period armor styles is
really moot.  I doubt that folks stopped to don fencing masks before
dueling to the death either.

I doubt it either. But then only a minority of duello combat was to the
death.

Stefan li Rous
<<<<

Russell