Shinai in Ansteorra

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Wed Nov 22 13:58:07 PST 1995

Mikjal Annarbjorn says:

Ysoulde asks about feelings on possibly introducing shinai combat as an
activity at Ansteorran events.  Sorry for the late reply, but her's my
two cents worth.

Before adding any new activity to SCA events, we need to examine what
that activity adds to our attempts at re-creating the atmosphere of
Medieval and Renaissance Europe.  Questions that need to be asked
(among others) are:

- Can the activity be positively documented as having occurred in
Europe prior to the 17th century?

- Was the activity a frequently occuring one or are there only a few
rare instances?

- Is it an activity practiced by the nobility (and/or those lower
classes that sought to emulate them, such as the merchant and trades
classes)?

I agree with validity of the first first two questions. I do not
however agree with the second. Why should we re-create only the
activities of the nobility? Yes, we generally assume that an
individual is of "noble birth" unless otherwise indicated, but
I don't think that should rule out activities done by the lower
classes.

We already do some activities that often were not regarded as
activities of the nobility. Most of our archery was not considered
an activity of the noble class. Many of our arts were not generally
practiced by the nobility. Yes, for embroidery, no for armor making.
Yes, for dance, no for brewing. Yes, for feasting, no for cooking.

I think the SCA experience is deepened by the inclusion of the
activities of all classes. I think the peasant personas and
peasant "guilds" that I have heard of in other kingdoms are a good
thing.

"I" may not wish to eat peasant gruel for my meals, but if others
do, it adds to the medieval atmosphere, so I say let them.

I do agree with Mikjal that any proposed activity needs to enhance
our recreation of the "atmosphere of Medieval and Renaissance Europe".

Ld. Stefan li Rous     Barony of Bryn Gwlad        Ansteorra
Per pale gules and or, a ram's head caboshed, counterchanged

  Mark S. Harris    markh at risc.sps.mot.com     Austin, TX