Question for our time(s)

Vicki Marsh zarazena at io.com
Wed Nov 22 21:04:06 PST 1995

>I have a question for you all. What do you do to bring the romance of the
>SCA's time period into your love relationships? (I am mostly looking for
>examples of romantic things to do, not a write up about your love life.)

Although my husband has already responded, I wish to add to this thread.

When we used to have a long-distance relationship, then a long-distance
marriage, it was very difficult to part once we were finally together.
Oftimes, I would ask Llywelyn to recite one sonnet in particular to me
before we drifted off to sleep.  Although it was not written for me, it
remains my personal favorite. With your indulgence, it follows:
III. Port

The safe port I desire is your embrace.
Where, sheltered from the stormy seas of life,
and Beauty, Love and Kindness hath their place,
I'm nestled in your bosom, far from strife.
A port is safe, but ships are built for sea.
Your charms I'll hold, and treasure while away.
I'll stock my hold with charms to carry me
throughout the voyage, and the lonely days.
Some comfort seek, where e'er their path doth wend
and to the next port sail when they are through.
You captivate my thoughts 'till journey's end.
My sweetest Lady, I dream but of you.
For though the sea must take me from your charms
I hasten to safe harbor in your arms.

Llywelyn Gruffydd
June 15, 1994
Even when I am old and gray, I will always be able to close my eyes and
remember his voice in the night, reciting this sonnet. It was written a year
and two days prior to our wedding.

On the rare evenings we are both at home and not having a meeting, we sit
apart, listening to period music while studing whatever topic is of interest
to us individually that day. If we find something to share, we discuss it
avidly, sometimes debating out a topic much like Eloise and Abelard.
Sometimes, one practices music while the reads or works on the computer.
You have no idea how wonderful it is not to be interrupted so your spouse
can watch TV.
 Courtesy and chivalry are not merely ideals to be portrayed on the list
field or in court, but with your family, co-workers, loved ones, even
strangers.  These are the tenements I feel are basic to the social side of
the SCA.

        From one very happy lady,  Zahra Zena