Question for our time(s)

Aodhan Ite an Fhithich aodhan at dobharchu.org
Thu Nov 23 19:53:17 PST 1995

Dia duit!

 [Replying to a message of Ysoulde at aol.com to All]

 Y> Our small as in child.......where does small refer to undergarments?

>From the Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary (the only definition of
"small" as a noun therein):

small n 1: a part smaller and esp. narrower than the remainder <the ~ of the
back>  2 a pl: small-sized products  b pl, Brit: SMALLCLOTHES 1

and

small.clothes n pl 1: close-fitting knee breeches worn in the 18th century  2:
small articles of clothing (as underclothing)

This latter usage is the one most recognized by those with late period
personas.

Might I suggest instead a perfectly *period* (Anglo-Saxon) term for a child:
child.

Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

Aodhan
Baron Aodhan Ite an Fhithich    aodhan at dobharchu.org
Master of the Laurel            Lough na Dobharchu' BBS  1-713-338-2570
Dobharchu' Herald               "Your Information Roman Road"
mka David H. Brummel            1:106/22
SCA Member 02245                Barony of Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra
http://www.io.com/~dbrummel  <== NOTE: New URL
plummety sable and argent on a sun of eight rays or a feather bendwise
sinister sable