Fwd: Smalls

Pug pug at arlut.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 29 08:15:04 PST 1995

> What does the dictionary (preferably the OED) say about "children"?
> Especially when it was first used?

I don't know about the OED, but my online dictionary has it listed
as "before" the 12th Century. (The online dictionary used by NeXTs and
others is a sad excuse of a sad dictionary. ie. Old version of Websters.)

> For example: "writing implement" for "pen"

Pen is listed as 14th Century.

> or "shrine of St. John" for "privy".

Privy listed as 1548.

> Rule #10. Don't be stupid.

But I do it so well!

Ciao,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something
pug at arlut.utexas.edu  |  beautiful poems. When ever shall we meet again?"