GoR: who has 'em in the RoP & why

Deborah Sweet dssweet at okway.okstate.edu
Mon Oct 2 12:00:27 PDT 1995

>>I said:
>>Awards with GoA: 1) There are simple Grants of Arms
>>                 2) Iris of Merit
>>                 3) Star of Merit
>>                 4) White Scarf
>>                 5) Centurion
>>                 6) Court Barony
>>                 7) Landed Baron/ess (who don't have one of the above
>>                    awards)
>>
>>However, if a person receives a barony (court or landed) before
>>receiving any of the 2-5 awards, should there not also be a GoR listing
>>as well?

>doesn't matter - they would be listed as receiving the l/c barony and then
>the 2-5 and still no independent GoR/A.

>All the awards you listed carry GoAs, it is implied in the award and
>the GoA  should not be listed seperately. Very occasionally the Crown
>in our kingdom will award a simple GoA or GoR these will be listed
>separately.

>FYI Landed Barons/esses will be listed as receiving such and then if
>the crown desires receive a Court Barony when they step down. Their
>Court Barony rank dates to the day they were awarded the Landed Barony.

>Lorraine DeerSlayer

To be clearer on my question, here's two different entries from the Roll
of Precedence, showing only their Grant level awards.

Anne Louise of Bluecastle - Barony 07/31/82 the Steppes
                            GoR    01/07/84

Bjorn Magnusson Esping - Barony 10/20/79 Baron Namron
                         CSM    11/18/79
                         CIM    10/09/82
                         GoR    10/20/79

The first one shows someone receiving a Grant two years after becoming a
landed baroness. The second one shows someone receiving a barony and a
grant on the same date. I could list *many* more examples of both of
these two circumstances.

So why? Is it a case of "ohmighod, the scroll didn't *say* grant, so we
better award them a GoR"? Or, is it a case of poor research? Or is it a
case of the belief that *both* the barony *and* the grant had to be
recorded in the roll of precedence?

Estrill