GoR: who has 'em in the RoP & why

Aodhan Ite an Fhithich aodhan at dobharchu.org
Mon Oct 2 18:04:13 PDT 1995

Dia duit!

 [Replying to a message of Deborah Sweet to All]

 DS> To be clearer on my question, here's two different entries from the
 DS> Roll  of Precedence, showing only their Grant level awards.

 DS> Anne Louise of Bluecastle - Barony 07/31/82 the Steppes
 DS>                             GoR    01/07/84

 DS> Bjorn Magnusson Esping - Barony 10/20/79 Baron Namron
 DS>                          CSM    11/18/79
 DS>                          CIM    10/09/82
 DS>                          GoR    10/20/79

 DS> The first one shows someone receiving a Grant two years after becoming
 DS> a  landed baroness. The second one shows someone receiving a barony
 DS> and a  grant on the same date. I could list *many* more examples of
 DS> both of  these two circumstances.

 DS> So why? Is it a case of "ohmighod, the scroll didn't *say* grant, so
 DS> we  better award them a GoR"? Or, is it a case of poor research? Or
 DS> is it a  case of the belief that *both* the barony *and* the grant
 DS> had to be  recorded in the roll of precedence?

Let me addres the two specific cases you cite first, then the more general
case:

Yes, Anne Louise received a Grant after she became Baroness of the Steppes
(and before she stepped down; the full citation lists her tenure as
07/31/82-02/13/88).  I would presume that the Crown at the time (Simonn &
Tessa) felt she was deserving of a Grant separate from her service as
Baroness; however, you would have to ask them.

In the case of Bjorn, the oldest Roll of Precedence I can find (published in
1987) lists this Grant.  It should be noted that this was given the same day
as Namron was created a Barony and Bjorn its founding Baron.  It should be
also noted that this was during the reign of the first Crown of Ansteorra
(Jonathan and Willow).  So, this separate Grant is most likely a case of 1) a
holdover tradition from our mother Kingdom, Atenveldt, or 2) the lack of any
established Ansteorran tradition.  However, again, you would have to check
with Jonathan and Willow to be certain.

In the more general case, A Grant listed for a retiring Territorial Baron/ess
on the date they retired, this is generally a case of the Crown not
understanding how this situtation works (it is not all that common, after all)
and feeling they needed to give the Grant separately.  And, since the
recipient recieved both the Court Barony and the Grant in Court (usually with
a scroll for each), this Office can do naught but list both.

Hope this cleared things up.

Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

Aodhan, Zodiacus
Baron Aodhan Ite an Fhithich    aodhan at dobharchu.org
Master of the Laurel            Lough na Dobharchu' BBS  1-713-338-2570
Dobharchu' Herald               "Your Information Roman Road"
mka David H. Brummel            1:106/22  180:11/22  762:2200/2
SCA Member 02245                Barony of Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra
http://www.phoenix.net/~dbrummel
plummety sable and argent on a sun of eight rays or a feather bendwise
sinister sable