GoR who etc. . . .

LANGJ at mail.syntron.com LANGJ at mail.syntron.com
Tue Oct 3 06:45:42 PDT 1995

>To be clearer on my question, here's two different entries from the Roll
>of Precedence, showing only their Grant level awards.
>
>Anne Louise of Bluecastle - Barony 07/31/82 the Steppes
>                       GoR    01/07/84
     >
     >Bjorn Magnusson Esping - Barony 10/20/79 Baron Namron
     >                    CSM    11/18/79
     >                    CIM    10/09/82
     >                    GoR    10/20/79
     >
     >The first one shows someone receiving a Grant two years after
     becoming a
     >landed baroness. The second one shows someone receiving a barony and
     >grant on the same date. I could list *many* more examples of both of
     >these two circumstances.
     >
     >So why? Is it a case of "ohmighod, the scroll didn't *say* grant, so
     we
     >better award them a GoR"? Or, is it a case of poor research? Or is it
     >case of the belief that *both* the barony *and* the grant had to be
     >recorded in the roll of precedence?
     >
     >Estrill

     The reason for this condition, is that our current rules involving the
     Grants of Rank are a "relatively new development."
     In it's early days, Ansteorra used the system that it inherited from
     Atenveldt.
     Attenveldt gave no special precedence to Landed Nobility.  The first
     Ansteorran Crowns felt that this was an odd situation, and "routinely"
     (except when they forgot) gave a Grant with a territorial Barony.  In
     a similar fashion, Court Barons received no special precedent either.
     Thus, many Court Barons (such as myself) received a Court Barony, and
     were later given Grants.

     [There was a Society wide discrepancy involving the prestige of Court
     Baronies.  In some Kingdoms (in the Aten tradition for example), Court
     Baronies were a fairly prestigious award, and the idea of including a
     Grant seemed like gilding a lily  In other Kingdoms, a Court Barony
     was virtually a joke award.  The BoD felt that a joke order of
     Nobility
     was not in keeping with the spirit of the reenactment (and debased all
     nobility), and required that a Court Barony at least include an AoA.
     Ansteorra went one better, and included a Grant with a Court Barony.
     (the attention given to the current system of precedence was less
     formal
     after most groups grew to big to have regular Marches in Precedence at
     courts).

     Over several years, the Crowns changed Law to bring it into it's
     current
     form, but the early years reflect the hodge podge of the transition
     from
     Aten tradition to our current Ansteorran tradition.

     - Bran

         Jim Langley
         Senior Hardware Engineer
         Syntron Product Development