fyi

Pug pug at arlut.utexas.edu
Sun Oct 15 06:48:26 PDT 1995

From: fletcher at cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox)
Newsgroups: austin.internet,news.admin.misc
Subject: USENET mail gateway retires
Date: 13 Oct 1995 17:00:10 -0500

I have reluctantly retired the mail-to-news gateway on cs.utexas.edu
after almost ten years of operation.

I used to really enjoy working on it.  In fact, I used it to learn
perl a few years ago (and it shows).  But I noticed the other day that
I haven't even looked at the code in over six months.  And that I've
spent an increasing amount of my time defending it from abuse.

So this had been building for a long time.  The AOL complaint (in
another thread in these newsgroups) was not the only source of pain,
only the most recent.  The bottom line for me was the realisation
that this used to be fun and that it no longer is.

Anyway, the real reason for this post is to say thank you.  The recent
show of support, both public and private, was overwhelming.  I really
appreciate that.  And thanks for all the fish.

Fletcher