Early Dance (Was: Nothing Important)

Deborah Sweet dssweet at okway.okstate.edu
Thu Oct 19 12:24:58 PDT 1995

Bran writes:

>Not so with the dancers. <snip>
>This is Northwestern Europe, the full weight of the collapse of
>civilization is upon us (Middle Eastern "belly-dance" is most certainly
>unknown here).  What kind of dance will we see if we hire a
>"professional dance troupe?"

>So, there is the basic question.  I want to host a performance of early
>period performance dance styles. What will I see?  What kind of dances?
>What kind of costumes? The outcome depends on the response I get from
>the "dance community."

I believe that I can speak as part of the dance community. :-)

>From what I know and have gleaned from talking & corresponding with
other dance instructors, we really don't have any idea of what was
actually danced at that point in time. Nothing has been discovered in
the written records. And I'm not sure that a "professional dance troupe"
would have existed then.

I think it might be best to forward your request to the scadance list.
It is simply full of dancemasters who have access to more sources than I
do. If you wish, Bran, I could do that for you as (of course) I'm
already subscribed to it. Replies could then be sent directly to you, or
me, or the Ansteorra list. Shall I?

Estrill

(I'm not trying to squash your idea! I kind-a like it as an
alternative.)