Cheap Reaney and Wilson

Aodhan Ite an Fhithich aodhan at dobharchu.org
Fri Oct 20 05:18:18 PDT 1995

Dia duit!

Thought the heralds here would find this interesting...

* Original in area HERALDS-ML
* Original from "Paul R. Stratton"  1:106/22.17
* Original to All
* Original about "Cheap Reaney & Wilson"

From: "Paul R. Stratton" <stratton at SEATTLEU.EDU>
Subject: Cheap Reaney & Wilson

I pulled this off the An Tir list from Zenobia.

Drogo

From: Leslie Schweitzer <Leslie.Schweitzer at hubert.rain.com>
Subject: Great Heraldic Resource Cheep

Reaney and Wilson's _A Dictionary of English Surnames_ (3rd ed.) is now out
in paperback.  This is *the* best single source on English surnames which
I know of, and also serves as a good source on given names as well.  This is
at a bargain price of $12.80 + shipping and handling if ordered before
January 31 1996!

The book has 592 pps of etymology and *dated* examples, including a 46-page
introduction on English surnames.  It includes appx 16000 names, 5000 more
than the 2nd edition (which was titled Dictionary of British Surnames).  I
use this book all the time in the course of my heraldic work, so much so
that I'm ordering a paperback just to take the wear and tear off my hardback
(which cost $75.00 when it came out two years ago, by comparison.)

It can be ordered from Oxford University Press by calling 1-800-451-7556
(9a.m.-5p.m. Eastern Standard Time) or a fax order can be sent to
1-919-677-1303.  The ISBN is 863146-4.  (I don't have a mailing address;
sorry about that. The 800-number can probably give it to you if you don't
have a credit card.)

Zenobia Lions Blood

==================== End of Forward ====================

Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

Aodhan
Baron Aodhan Ite an Fhithich    aodhan at dobharchu.org
Master of the Laurel            Lough na Dobharchu' BBS  1-713-338-2570
Dobharchu' Herald               "Your Information Roman Road"
mka David H. Brummel            1:106/22  180:11/22  762:2200/2
SCA Member 02245                Barony of Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra
http://www.phoenix.net/~dbrummel
plummety sable and argent on a sun of eight rays or a feather bendwise
sinister sable