Arts and Sciences Competition

Randy Shipp rshipp at molly.hsc.unt.edu
Wed Oct 25 09:29:50 PDT 1995

It was written:

> <Sarcasm alert>
> Well, I for one am so relieved to find that the Music competition will be
> judged at the kingdom A&S by the Crown, who has proven his superior
> knowledge of things musical by waving a stick.
>
> May I remind you that the concept of a conductor was not in general use in
> period?
> <Sarcasm passed - you may resume normal activities now>

(My apologies for cutting the non-sarcastic portion of your post.  The
above excerpt is for recall only.)

It seems to me that a good and conscientious Crown, being wise enough to
recognize his strengths (and to employ them for his subjects), would also
have wisdom enough to recognize those matters in which his advisors could
better judge.  If an honorable man knows that he cannot fairly judge a
contest, would he not decline to do so, in deference to the assembled
masters of the art?

This, of course, is at the heart of the debate over art for artists or
art for people.  In my estimation (as an extremely novice musician),
music done best is that which elicits the desired emotions and responses
of the audience.  Dance music should lighten the feet and lift the
spirits, while others might seek to provoke introspection or sadness.  No
style is superior, except that the musician induce the desired response
with it.  Perhaps, then, the familiar dance piece succeeds because it
elicits that response.

While I would not have the Crown's privelege to judge music changed, I
would suggest that a simple applause count or ballot of the assembled
people to be the best judge of music designed to please the ear.

In Service,

Antoine D'Aubernoun
mka Randy Shipp
rshipp at dale.hsc.unt.edu