A & S Competition (Bardic)

Scott Jernigan jernigan at UH.EDU
Wed Oct 25 10:49:04 PDT 1995

I would like to add my thoughts in response to two recent posts
concerning judging the bardic at Kingdom A & S.  Both queried
the appropriateness or advisability of HRMs Patrick and Julia
-- both non-bards -- as sole judges.

First, their Majesties have been involved in the Society for a long
time and have undoubtedly heard enough bardic to be able to judge
the worth of a particular piece or the skill of a particular
performer.

Second, why should a lively and well-performed piece not win in
preference to a more difficult or subtle piece, equally well-
performed, that happened to be dull?  Or, on a more practical
note, if you are playing or singing a high-caliber piece, preface
the performance with an explanation of the technical skill required.
Certainly the sophistication of the audience matters, but the bard
can always attempt to raise the level of sophistication.  The idea,
I think, is to play the piece with the highest combination of skill
and entertainment geared for a particular audience.

Finally, the idea of playing to an audience of bards in preference
to an audience of potential patrons seems, well, non-period.
I confess that it is wonderful to receive the applause of other
bards.  Still, troubadours played for ladies (or gents, as the case
may be), because that is who paid their keep.  I imagine that bards
played for other bards to practice and hone their performances, and
such we should continue to do in the Society.  The audience, however,
be that one or many, should judge.

Andrew Scarhart

"Quisque suae fortunae faber" ("Each Man the Maker of his own Fortune")

Motto of Sir John Fyneux, Chief Justice of England, 1495-1525