October Board Meeting Report

Patricia Horton horton at dhostwo.convex.com
Wed Oct 25 11:18:53 PDT 1995

sorry, but the report did not do the discussion justice. The Board WANTS
alternative methods and would like to do away with the surcharge and is
ASKING FOR IDEAS over the next 8 months. ANY IDEA, not just going to the
membership. I was there, I sat through the budget discussion on Friday as
was my right as Kingdom Seneschal. We are still short, that is a reality.
The discussion on Friday and Saturday was focused on some way to still be
financially responsible going into the future (and NOT the way previous
boards have man-handled and mis-handled funds in secret), still be able to
rebuild our subscription liability (which was not mentioned in the report
on the BB) and operating reserve, but maybe find a more palitible manner
of raising the money. They could have just said, that is it we are stuck
with the surcharge forever. That WAS NOT THE DECISION. We are stuck with
it if we can not come up with better ideas (the board members are also going
to do some brainstorming but would like ideas from the populace). We asked
for input on important decisions like this, well we got it....... So, put
up or shut up.

The initial proposal was a knee-jerk decision to do away with the NMS without
any thought, just like what has happened in the past, make major decisions
without going to the membership or much thought. I don't like the NMS any
better than anyone else, but I see a chance here to input into the process
and plan on getting this Kingdom, with the help of TRM and TRH, INVOLVED IN
THIS DECISION. More on that later when I have had a chance to think this
weekend on how I can reach as much as I can about the budget, what it means,
and what the ramifications are. Things like using the Blackstar, possible
survey, Kingodm moots all come to mind. Once I have ideas and have talked
to TRM I will make plans known.

Maire

ps. in the mean time if you have specific questions about the meeting I will
be more than happy to give some insight. The notes already posted are good
summary, but there was more to the meeting than just what was written. I took
a LOT of notes myself and am in the process of putting together a report for
TRM and TRH. If anyone wants a copy of my report send me a SASE! Of course I
the report will be in the Kingdom Seneschal's monthly mailing (which
you all have a right to see).