A & S Competition (Bardic)

Kevin Varner kmv at abm.austin.tx.us
Wed Oct 25 11:26:56 PDT 1995

> I would like to add my thoughts in response to two recent posts
> concerning judging the bardic at Kingdom A & S.  Both queried
> the appropriateness or advisability of HRMs Patrick and Julia
> -- both non-bards -- as sole judges.
>
> First, their Majesties have been involved in the Society for a long
> time and have undoubtedly heard enough bardic to be able to judge
> the worth of a particular piece or the skill of a particular
> performer.
>
> Second, why should a lively and well-performed piece not win in
> preference to a more difficult or subtle piece, equally well-
> performed, that happened to be dull?  Or, on a more practical
> note, if you are playing or singing a high-caliber piece, preface
> the performance with an explanation of the technical skill required.
> Certainly the sophistication of the audience matters, but the bard
> can always attempt to raise the level of sophistication.  The idea,
> I think, is to play the piece with the highest combination of skill
> and entertainment geared for a particular audience.
>
> Finally, the idea of playing to an audience of bards in preference
> to an audience of potential patrons seems, well, non-period.
> I confess that it is wonderful to receive the applause of other
> bards.  Still, troubadours played for ladies (or gents, as the case
> may be), because that is who paid their keep.  I imagine that bards
> played for other bards to practice and hone their performances, and
> such we should continue to do in the Society.  The audience, however,
> be that one or many, should judge.
>

> Andrew Scarhart
> _______________________
>
> "Quisque suae fortunae faber" ("Each Man the Maker of his own Fortune")
>
> Motto of Sir John Fyneux, Chief Justice of England, 1495-1525

  Sorry for quoting the entire text, but my snipper seems to be out of whack!

  I think that the main line here seems to be performance for entertainments
  sake vs. evaluation/competition.  Personally I would rather perform for
  entertainment.  However, if my work is to be judged then I would rather it
  judged on its technical merits by the "technicians" (bards).  Popular
  acclaim is fine, but I would rather have that narrowly focused to a part-
  icular theme or style.  Putting a lively dance tune up against a tragic ballad  is not fair to either (IHMO).

  Duncan
  (kmv at abm.austin.tx.us)