A & S Competition (Bardic)

KAT KAL35810 at Jetson.UH.EDU
Wed Oct 25 12:28:15 PDT 1995

I feel the need to add my two cents to this topic.

Each bardic performance, IMO, should be geared to a particular audience.  This
is not to say that the same piece should not be performed for different groups
of people, but rather that a piece (or combination of pieces) should be
selected for each performance based upon the circumstances.  When performing, I
*try* to take into account my audience, their mood, the mood I am trying to
create, the time of day, and the environment (court, feast, bardic circle,
etc.)

>The idea, I think, is to play the piece with the highest combination
>of skilland entertainment geared for a particular audience.

Exactly.

>Finally, the idea of playing to an audience of bards in preference
>to an audience of potential patrons seems, well, non-period.
>I confess that it is wonderful to receive the applause of other
>bards.  Still, troubadours played for ladies (or gents, as the case
>may be), because that is who paid their keep.  I imagine that bards
>played for other bards to practice and hone their performances, and
>such we should continue to do in the Society.  The audience, however,
>be that one or many, should judge.
>
>Andrew Scarhart

I must agree with Scarhart.  While applause from one's peers is a wonderful
feeling, what bard in period times would pass up the opportunity to perform for
the Crown?  This goes back to taking your audience into consideration.  Rather
than a ridgedly documented (yet boring to the layperson) piece in Gaelic,
perhaps something more emotionally stirring would be appropriate.  Of course,
this also depends on who is on the throne . . .

My two cents, for what they're worth.

Kat