Bryn Gwlad Baronial Champion's Feast Recipes

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Mon Oct 2 14:38:14 PDT 1995

Greetings unto all those who were asking after copies of the recipes I used
for Bryn Gwlad Baronial Champions Tourney!

Here are 4 of the recipes I used. These recipes are from Duke Cariadoc's
Miscellany.  Each recipe is marked by a ==>. The original recipe (or its
translation into English) is first followed by Duke Cariadoc's redaction
then followed by my notes.

All the recipes in his collection can be found on the World Wide Web at ::
http://fermi.clas.virginia.edu/~gl8f/cariadoc/recipe_toc.html

==> Potage from Meat

[Original recipe found in] Platina book 7 (GOOD)
Take lean meat and let it boil, then cut it up finely and cook it again for
half an hour in rich juice, having first added bread crumbs. Add a little
pepper and
saffron.

When it has cooled a little, add beaten eggs, grated cheese, parsley, marjoram,
finely chopped mint with a little verjuice. Blend them all together in a pot,
stirring them slowly with a spoon so that they do not form a ball. The same may
be done with livers and lungs.

[redaction by David Friedman and Elizabeth Cook]
2 1/3 lb stewbeef
4 c water
"Rich juice": 31 oz (3 cans) concentrated beef broth
1 1/2 c dry bread crumbs
3/4 t pepper
8 threads saffron
5 eggs
1 1/2 c grated cheese (~ 7 oz)
3/8 c chopped parsley
3/4 t dried or 1 t fresh marjoram
1 1/2 T chopped fresh mint
verjuice: 3 T wine vinegar
1 t salt (to taste)

Bring meat and water to a boil and cook 10 minutes; take meat out and cut up
small; put back in water with broth, bread crumbs, pepper, and saffron. Simmer
1/2 hour over low flame, being careful that it does not stick. Mix in remaining
ingredients; cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. This makes about 10
cups.

This is a rather meat-rich version; it also works with as little as half
this much meat.

[Dottie's Notes:  I do not add the eggs at all.  Adding the cheese is good
but I didn't add it at this event because of the savory toasted cheese.  I
use fresh herbs.  I use Campbell's double strength beef broth. I use either
packaged, plain bread crumbs or homemade ones from white or wheat bread
that is 3 days old.  I use high quality meat (top round or roast) - not
packaged stew beef. I say this serves 8 folks.  When cooking for 100, you
should not necessarily go with 12 times the wine vinegar (I use red).  You
should add it and the spices and herbs to taste.]

==> Savoury Tosted or Melted Cheese

[original recipe found in] Digby p. 228/177

Cut pieces of quick, fat, rich, well tasted cheese, (as the best of Brye,
Cheshire, &c. or sharp thick Cream-Cheese) into a dish of thick beaten
melted Butter, that hath served for Sparages or the like, or pease, or
other boiled Sallet, or ragout of meat, or gravy of Mutton: and, if you
will, Chop some of the Asparages among it, or slices of Gambon of Bacon, or
fresh-collops, or Onions, or Sibboulets, or Anchovis, and set all this to
melt upon a Chafing-dish of Coals, and stir all well together, to
Incorporate them; and when all is of an equal consistence, strew some gross
White-Pepper on it, and eat it with tosts or crusts of White-bread. You may
scorch it at the top with a hot Fire-Shovel