Adult Bardic (Was: Nothing Important)

Deborah Sweet dssweet at okway.okstate.edu
Thu Oct 19 11:59:26 PDT 1995

Bran writes:

>The first is an "Adults Only Bardic" competition.
<snip>
>It's not that common, but I have concluded that it might be appropriate
>to have a bardic "contest" where minors might not be present, and where
>material might not have to be criticized for its content (vis a' vis
>suitability for children). I'm not talking about a dirty joke contest
>here.  What I want is a bardic safe for the Canterbury Tales.

And the Decamaron as well?

Sounds like a wonderful idea. I would wish it could be here in the
north.

This reminds me of when Baron Lucais became Mooneschadowe's Minstrel.
Duke Mikael was in his first reign as king then, and one of the judges
of the contest. It was late at night, and well, Mikael's been known to
enjoy the comforts of his chair. Lucais had chosen to read a piece of
poetry as his last entry (I think something from Shakespeare). He was
reading from the book, extolling the virtues of something, when all of a
sudden Lucais' voice rose and the word "nipple" resounded loud
throughout the hall. Mikael sat up & listened very intently to the last
of the verse in praise of a lady's breasts.

Needless to say, Lucais did become our Minstrel that evening.

Estrill