Database help?

Steven L. Holt maxisdgn at krypton.netropolis.net
Mon Oct 23 17:59:31 PDT 1995

At 23:27 21/10/95 -0500, you wrote:
>I need a database or some such program to do a mailing list with. I also
>need to be able to chart some inforamation about the people on the
>mailing list, without that info being printed on the lables.
>

>I have Excel and either it won't do this or I just know how to make it do
>this. Any suggestions?
>
>The sooner the better, cause i also want to use this  to organise my
>wedding invites!
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Lady Clare

All of the suggestions I have read in response to your problem involve
buying more software.  Excel 5.0 in conjunction with Word 6.0 (or any of
its' competitors I would assume) are perfectly capable of handling mailing
lists.  I use this arrangement to print the mailing labels for "The Two
Towers", and manage the subscriber database for my report.

The simplest way would be to create your Excel file with the information
that you wish to place on the mailing labels in the first columns.  You
create a Word file with a one line table containing the same headings, in
the same order as the columns in Excel (assuming you put headings on your
columns).   You "Copy" (Edit Command) the information/cells (not the
headings) you wish to place on your mailing labels, and "Paste" (Edit
Command) them into your Word file.  You then use the "Mail Merge" (Tools
Command), and follow the instructions to set up your labels and create a
separate label file.  Not too difficult.

Good Luck,

Lord Stefan von Drachenfels