A & S Competition (Bardic)

Aodhan Ite an Fhithich aodhan at dobharchu.org
Wed Oct 25 22:23:01 PDT 1995

Dia duit!

 [Replying to a message of KAT  to All]

 K> Rather than a ridgedly documented (yet
 K> boring to the layperson) piece in Gaelic, perhaps something more
 K> emotionally stirring would be appropriate.

Kat,

The implication of this is that our performers should not perform pieces in
their native tongues, since these would be "boring to the layperson" as few of
us have even a smattering of our persona's native speech.

Personally, I *like* listening to well performed pieces in Gaelic, even though
I don't understand a word of it.

Again, it depends on the intent of the competition: medieval flavor or museum
reproduction.  At a Kingdom Competition, we should probably be striving for
the latter.

Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

Aodhan
Baron Aodhan Ite an Fhithich    aodhan at dobharchu.org
Master of the Laurel            Lough na Dobharchu' BBS  1-713-338-2570
Dobharchu' Herald               "Your Information Roman Road"
mka David H. Brummel            1:106/22
SCA Member 02245                Barony of Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra
http://www.phoenix.net/~dbrummel
plummety sable and argent on a sun of eight rays or a feather bendwise
sinister sable