Period Pagan Christmas Carols?

Susan Harwood Kaczmarczik susanhk at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 26 14:23:21 PDT 1995

>I tend to look at the Holidays like Thankgiving and Christmas as being
>neither Christian nor Pagan, but rather children of a mixed marriage.

Exactly.  To my mind, these customs are European, and survived into the
practices of Christian Europeans through pre-Christian sources.  It doesn't
make anyof it less powerful or enjoyable.

It's all of it - including Hanukkah - about the returning Light, however
one might see that Light, and the promise of renewal in the spring.  (And
celebrating to keep from freezing or getting bored when one is snowed in
for weeks!)  Again, something that transcends dogma... or at least should
do so.

Fionnuala

>Diarmuit

Susan Harwood Kaczmarczik