Arts & Sciences Competition

LANGJ at mail.syntron.com LANGJ at mail.syntron.com
Fri Oct 27 09:11:55 PDT 1995

         I have a few comments to add to the ongoing discussion of A&S and
         Bardic judging.
         Returning to the original post, and addressing the commentary:

      >  While I do not mind and in fact enjoy playing for the Crown, whom
      >  I really do respect <no sarcasm here>, I think this bodes very,
      >  very ill for musicians.  I, for one, do not care to compete in
      >  this fashion.     It seems to indicate a general low regard for music
           >  and musicians (WE don't want to have to listen to them!).  Or
           >  perhaps it is an indication that we feel that we have nobody
           >  qualified to judge music and therefore why bother?  I know
     this is
           >  not the case, of course; we have some extremely good
     musicians in
           >  Ansteorra.  I am privileged enough to have met and played
     with
           >  some of them.

         There are several responses that I would like to make to this
         proposition:

         * In period, it was the goal of every performer to perform before
         the nobility.  Your persona should consider it a singular honour
         to be asked to do so.

         * There is considerable (justified) complaint that the Crown too
         often ignores the Arts.  We've asked for the Crown to listen,
         they're listening.  Did we not mean it when we asked?

         * Speaking as a noble who has often sought judges for bardic
         presentations, and on more than one occasion been asked to judge
         bardic myself, I would say that most Crowns are as well qualified
         to judge as anyone.

         * We've also fostered a horrible tradition in our bardic community
         that bardic is something so specialized that the ordinary person
         has no business even listening to it.
         Several years ago, I conducted a bardic competition at the Texas
         Renaissance Festival site.  I asked bards to perform in the arena
         in the compound.
         In the stands, were to be the Baron & Baroness, a panel of Judges,
         and ordinary citizens, who were invited to comment (via note
         cards).
         The populace would not participate!  One woman told me that people
         don't listen to bardic, and can't participate in it!
         Bardic is supposed to be popular entertainment (at least that was
         its function in period).  Instead, we hold an "eisteddfod" and
         send a panel of judges into the back room, were the contestants
         perform for them.  When it's over, the judges come out and tell us
         who they have assigned to be our title bard.  God forbid anyone
         should actually have to listen to a bardic performance.

           >  Well, I for one am so relieved to find that the Music
     competition
           >  will be judged at the kingdom A&S by the Crown, who has
     proven his
           >  superior knowledge of things musical by waving a stick.

         <snip - fold - glue>

           >  Who is going to win - the musician who performs a subtle but
           >  difficult piece unknown to the Crown, or the musician who
     performs
           >  a lively but easy dance piece that Their Highnesses have
     heard and
           >  enjoyed previously?  Again, no disrespect is meant to the
     Crown -
           >  it is simply human nature to judge things outside of one's
     areas
           >  of expertise by a simpler set of criteria.

         Crowns seldom act without consideration to the results of their
         actions.  Should the Crown feel uncertain of their qualifications,
         I'm certain that they will seek out qualified advice.

         Further, our Crowns do come from all kinds of backgrounds.  Some
         would surprise you.  At least one of our past Crowns, holds a
         degree in music, and sang opera professionally.  His expertise in
         early music is extensive.  I know that other Crowns have had
         backgrounds in the performing arts as well.

         This attention by the Crown is to be encouraged (IMHO).  They
         Crown has actually agreed not only to attend the function, but to
         devote enough attention to the performances to judge (if the
         populace will leave then alone long enough for them to do so).

         Could something go wrong?  I suppose it could, but this is a step
         *forward* for the bardic community.  For heaven's sake, support
         it!
         Unless you like performing in the back room where you don't
         disturb the event outside.

         Bran
         (retired somebody)

         Jim Langley                   |  yclept:
         Senior Hardware Engineer      |
         Syntron Product Development   |  Bran de Tintreak
         Syntron Inc.                  |  - Stargate
         langj at .syntron.com            |  (713) 869-1310