A & S Competition (Bardic)

Aodhan Ite an Fhithich aodhan at dobharchu.org
Fri Oct 27 21:51:08 PDT 1995

Dia duit!

 [Replying to a message of KAT  to All]

Kat,  (to which Kat am I replying, BTW?)

 K> My implication was by no means that period, well performed pieces in
 K> *any* language are undesireable.

I'm not sure how else I could have read that, unless it was intended as a
specific slight against Gaelic, which I doubt to be the case.

 K> It's all a matter of playing to your
 K> audience.  I would not sing my Gaelic laments to a group of boisterous
 K> drunks around a campfire, for example.

Why not?

 K> But I will sing them for you
 K> one quiet evening under  the stars, in an attempt to recreate the
 K> magic for which we joined this society in the first place.

Uhhmmm...  The reason I joined the Society had nothing to do with any "magic."
  But I'll listen to good singing (in any language) whenever I can find it.

 K> Hmmmm . . .  Perhaps we (myself included) place too much emphasis on
 K> competition . . .

When Eimile and I were the KMoAS, the Kingdom Arts & Sciences events were
displays, not competitions.  It is impossible to objectively judge craft
pieces, even when you have "experts," which we do not.  And any artisan who
persues their craft to "win" has their head screwed on backwards.  Yes we need
feedback from others to help us improve our craft, but this does not require
that one of us be judged "better" that the others.

Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

Aodhan
Baron Aodhan Ite an Fhithich    aodhan at dobharchu.org
Master of the Laurel            Lough na Dobharchu' BBS  1-713-338-2570
Dobharchu' Herald               "Your Information Roman Road"
mka David H. Brummel            1:106/22
SCA Member 02245                Barony of Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra
http://www.phoenix.net/~dbrummel
plummety sable and argent on a sun of eight rays or a feather bendwise
sinister sable