Arts & Sciences Competition

Aodhan Ite an Fhithich aodhan at dobharchu.org
Fri Oct 27 22:12:29 PDT 1995

Dia duit!

 [Replying to a message of LANGJ at mail.syntron.com to All]

Bran,

 L>  * In period, it was the goal of every performer to perform before
 L>    the nobility.  Your persona should consider it a singular honour
 L>    to be asked to do so.

The first sentence seems a bit of a sweeping generalization to me.  Given the
social class our personae are assumed to belong to, the second is probably
correct.

 L>  * There is considerable (justified) complaint that the Crown too
 L>    often ignores the Arts.  We've asked for the Crown to listen,
 L>    they're listening.  Did we not mean it when we asked?

What *I* have asked for is that the Arts be given the same level of support by
the Kingdom as is given to fighting.  Guaranteed and/or protected dates for
Kingdom A&S, King's College, Kingdom Eisteddfod; secure funding for the A&S
issue and more support for it from the Kingdom Chronicler.

I'm not slighting the Crown for agreeing to judge performance at the next A&S
(although I agree the performers are being treated more poorly that the static
artisans, I see this as Thomas's failing).  But "The Crown" (not just the
current ones) needs to do more to support the Arts and to encourage Their
Officers to do likewise.

 L> * We've also fostered a horrible tradition in our bardic community
 L>   that bardic is something so specialized that the ordinary person
 L>   has no business even listening to it.

Don't get me started on "the bards."

 L>   This attention by the Crown is to be encouraged (IMHO).  They
 L>   Crown has actually agreed not only to attend the function,

Which is more than some other Crowns have been willing to do.

Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

Aodhan
Baron Aodhan Ite an Fhithich    aodhan at dobharchu.org
Master of the Laurel            Lough na Dobharchu' BBS  1-713-338-2570
Dobharchu' Herald               "Your Information Roman Road"
mka David H. Brummel            1:106/22
SCA Member 02245                Barony of Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra
http://www.phoenix.net/~dbrummel
plummety sable and argent on a sun of eight rays or a feather bendwise
sinister sable