Heraldic Amusement

Robert G. Ferrell rferrell at bga.com
Wed Sep 6 16:19:56 PDT 1995

>Close, but clear.  From the SCA Online Armorial:
>
>Ansteorra, Kingdom of|9101X|b|(Fieldless) A comet headed of a mullet of five
>greater and five lesser points fesswise reversed sable.|(For Award of the
>Sable Comet of Ansteorra)
>
>There's one difference for Fieldless and another for the change in position of
>the comet.  We *used* to use a comet fesswise, but when it was finally sent in
>for registration, there was a conflict (perhaps the arms cited above; I cannot
>recall).

The Herald's office and its machinery have mutated so many times since I was
actively commenting that I don't pretend even to comprehend how differences
are determined anymore, much less what constitutes clear or conflict.  I was
merely elucidating for those who didn't understand why the original comment
was "amusing."

Cynric