Heraldic Amusement

James Crouchet crouchet at infinity.ccsi.com
Wed Sep 6 19:32:59 PDT 1995

On 6 Sep 1995, Aodhan Ite an Fhithich wrote:

> Dia duit!
>
>  [Replying to a message of Robert G. Ferrell to All]

[...]
>  RGF> It's essentially the badge for the Sable Comet of Ansteorra
>
> Close, but clear.  From the SCA Online Armorial:
>
> Ansteorra, Kingdom of|9101X|b|(Fieldless) A comet headed of a mullet of five
> greater and five lesser points fesswise reversed sable.|(For Award of the
> Sable Comet of Ansteorra)
>
> There's one difference for Fieldless and another for the change in position of
> the comet.  We *used* to use a comet fesswise, but when it was finally sent in
> for registration, there was a conflict (perhaps the arms cited above; I cannot
> recall).
[...]
> Aodhan
[...]

Yes, that is why I changed the position. I understood that there was a
conflict if fesswise so I reversed it and cleared the conflict. This was
back in the days when it was firmly believed one could not pass a simple
design and several people were quite startled that it passed.

You should note, BTW, that though the design was mine the beautiful
drawing was done by Serena.

Savian