Copy of Zodiacus Report

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Thu Apr 4 09:50:37 PST 1996

Estrill says:

>>Oda Ito - Award of Arms

>So just how close can a name be to a rather well known one from science
>fiction before it falls afoul of some naming rule? One hopes that this
>name has not been approved by the COA, seeing as how its the extremely
>close name of everyone's favorite shapeshifter, Odo Ital. Of course, I'm
>aware that *Odo* is itself a medieval name (Bishop Odo the uncle of
>William the Bastard/Conqueror), but the name as listed above just made
>me think Star Trek before thinking medieval.

Hmm. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I've never heard of this "Odo Ital"
character, so I don't find the orginal name glaring, although it does
sound more oriental than European.

If it's European medieval then I see no reason a name shouldn't be
useable. Although I'll admit to me, Bubba, reminds me more of rednecks
than it does of medieval times even if it is a legit medieval name.

Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad