What goes on the Web?

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Thu Aug 1 11:52:59 PDT 1996

Hey ya'll "clink, clink" ...here my two cents worth. Kief here. Phone books are
no big deal, we've all had crank calls from the random crazies out their. In
this day and age of Caller ID, Call Blocker, etc. these nuts are eazy to deal
with. What worries me about the web pages and other sources of un-regulated
information is this. What happens when a fanatic starts compiling a database
of names, addresses, maps, sites, and other information that is innocent on
the face of it. This unknown and unnamed fanatic has attended a "cult awareness
seminar" given by an "occult crimes expert". I've attended such seminars, we,
the members of the SCA fit almost all the criteria of a "cult". Now, picture
this... All that information being distributed to other members of the "cult
awareness organization". What if some of these fanatics belong to credit
bureaus, teacher watchdog groups, what happens if your name, and a lot of your
friends names get placed (illegally) on supposily non existant "blacklists". Call
me paranoid if you wish, I am... However, ask the various Kingdom Seneschals,
the people that have had their children picked up because of their involvement
with the SCA that is accused of being a "cult", those groups that have been
investigated for "occult connections/activities". All it takes to really screw
up your day is one letter, call, visit from someone promising you, "we know
who you are, we're watching you, and .....". You get the picture. This is food
for thought, all I'm suggesting is don't put any kind of information on wide
spread public access you wouldn't want your worst enemy to have. General
information is cool, media coverage is cool, event reports are fine, contact
numbers and SCA names are alright also (if the person listed _knows_ their
number/name is to be published). Photographs may be alright, if it's a _big_
picture, close ups of individuals may be a problem (did you get a signed release
before publication?). Other information, real names/addresses/maps etc. are,
in my opinion, not to be distributed without careful thought or in a lot of
cases, specfic permission. So, there, another in the series of rants brought
to your home by...

Sir Kief. (Who cares for the privacy and peace of his friends and neighbors
very much.)

"Maleus Potius Clavo..."