Quarterstaffs

Mark Harris mark_harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Thu Aug 1 17:20:22 PDT 1996

>: I think that the ruling is to prevent "pugel stick" type blows. It is easy
>: swing a two-headed 6' polearm like a "quarterstaff". Serious injury may
>result.

And Lost says:

Question, newbie, type stupid, one ea.

   What are the odds of somehow creating a quarterstaff that is safe for
combat (light or heavy). I really like that type of fighting and while I
understand the reasons behind it's not being allowed, I still wish it was
possible.

There has been some discussion along these lines before. You might be
interested in taking a look at one of my files in the COMBAT section of
my SCA Rialto Files:

quarterstaff-msg  (18K)  9/26/95    Quarterstaffs and why they're not used in
                                      the SCA.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com
My files are available at: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html