Should Ansteorra have a WWW Page?

Galen of Bristol ptm2792 at utarlg.uta.edu
Fri Aug 2 12:55:08 PDT 1996

Here's how I see it, for what it's worth.

Every few years, something comes along that gets widely misunderstood as
"satanic".  Dungeons & Dragons had its turn, some TV shows and comic
books, and periodically the SCA.  This upsets some SCA people, and
frightens others.

Today, many people fear the weirdos on the Internet.  Having surfed the
'net, I don't see so much to fear from Internet people as compared to
people without Internet access.

The loudest voices presently on this list have argued against listing
contact information for officers and key people, rules for playing the
game, or information about events, due to fear for the officers' and
their families' safety, from fear that people will learn the rules
without buying them, and out of concern that someone might arrive at an
event expecting the wrong thing, or with intent to do harm, respectively.

Accepting these arguments, as I see it, means taking down the Ansteorra
page at www.uta.edu/student_orgs/sca/ansteorra.  Is that what should happen?

What's on the page?  Pretty pictures; you don't need the web for that.
Contact info for the officers; I'm told I've endangered these people by
posting that.  Schedule of events; another reason to not join the SCA,
says the Kingdom Chronicler.

And links to other sites.  Most of those fit into the above category.
The rest are links to how-to pages, information, poetry, etc., like
Stefan's Rialto archive and Cariadoc's miscellany, and there's no need
for an _Ansteorra_ WWW page to do it.

I put a lot of work into the page.  Mainly that's because it's fun and it
strokes my ego when people tell me how much they like it.  But I'm
hearing now that I'm doing harm, and that's not what I want.

Should there be an Ansteorra page?  What should be on it?

Another opinion-packed, fact-free post from

- Galen

Viscount Galen of Bristol, KSCA, CSM, etc.
ptm2792 at utarlg.uta.edu -- for a good time, call:
http://www.uta.edu/student_orgs/CSA/officers/paul/
             "noblesse oblige"