Should Ansteorra have a WWW Page?

Deborah Sweet dssweet at Okway.okstate.edu
Fri Aug 2 14:01:58 PDT 1996

Galen writes and asks:

>What's on the page?  Pretty pictures; you don't need the web for that.
>Contact info for the officers; I'm told I've endangered these people by
>posting that.  Schedule of events; another reason to not join the SCA,
>says the Kingdom Chronicler.

>Should there be an Ansteorra page?  What should be on it?

I agree with you 100% (of course, you personally could have guessed that,
since I'm the one that supplied you with several articles and other
net-addresses to links).

Just this week, two new people showed up at populace meeting because one
of them found out there was an SCA branch in Stillwater by finding our
home page. They could have attended college until they'd graduated before
they *may* have found us.

(Personally, I wonder how much of this fear of the Web is linked to age.
The younger (mentally or physically) you are, the more you accept it as a
good thing.)

There are probably hundreds of SCA-related web pages out there already.
I've been to a few of them. Most Kingdom, Baronial, and Shire home pages
(and all those other names for groups) have differing amounts of
information available on them. Some are absolutely wonderful to get to
with *loads* of information, and others barely tell you anything.

It would be a shame if the Ansteorra web page suddenly was jerked from
the Internet. We would then be the only kingdom *without* a web-page
(Meridies has *two* Kingdom web-pages). Which, of course, is not
necessarily a good reason to keep it there. But if no one else from the
BoD with their *Official* web page, on down to the other 12 Kingdoms and
hundreds of local groups and people have been sufficiently paranoid to
remove their pages, why should we succumb to paranoid fears of some
members in our kingdom? Of course, not *all* groups of the kingdoms have
web pages yet, but I think it's only a matter of time (say 2-6 years)
before *all* the SCA local groups have their own web pages. Do we want to
lead or follow along behind everyone else?

Sorry to go on for so long, but I finally found the right words.

Estrill