Website Overhaul et al

ches at io.com ches at io.com
Fri Aug 2 11:40:27 PDT 1996

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996 08:55:18 -0400  CTWilliams at AOL.COM wrote:
>This is the reason I have decided not to put the Black Star on line.  It had
>been proposed that it be made available on the Ansteorran Net.  If it is on
>the net then people would have another reason not to join the Society.  I
>thank if one enjoys playing our game then he/she should join and truly play
>the game by supporting the groups.
>
>In this light I too don't think Handbooks belong on the Net.
>
>I remain in servitude
>Theodric

..o0*0o..

I have maintained an online newsletter for about 8 months now and I realize
that even though not everyone wants to read it we still get about 3 hits a
day. According to my cgi programs only three of those folks were the same
person more than 5 times and yes they are subscribed to the paper version (me
being one of them). Of those that hit the page I can say that only 10% are
dues paid members and that roughly 30% of the non paid members have joined
their local organization, (checking with that locations newbe sign up person).
That is not a high number and I am not comparing the SCA to that organization
(not comparable!), I am only showing you what you could expect from an online
anything if you have the proper programs running or a really good sysop to
trace most of the hits.

This may sound big sister to you but the technology exists and sometimes it
works. I still have bugs in my system (error log files are not accessible yet)
so it is not full proof. This is just what I have been able to assess in the
last few days. You can even have a subscribed online version of the newsletter
which could costs the same as teh paper. It may even cut the costs of the
paper version if enough people opt to get it via online subscription vs. snail
mail subscription. This makes it harder to photocopy and distribute, good and
bad.

I prefer hard copy everything! But the baby's needs for space takes precedence
over my file space and things get misplaced. If I am lucky the info is online
and I can refer to it in a matter of minutes as opposed to hours.

Lady Chiara

Ciao   @}\
Ches @}----`--,-- http://www.io.com/~ches
       @}/