Website Overhaul et al

stddly at SHSU.edu stddly at SHSU.edu
Sun Aug 4 11:37:44 PDT 1996

Hey Paul! Kief here.

>Subj:	Re: Website Overhaul et al
>From: "Paul Shore" <shore at dcainc.com>
>
>Those who state that they are opposed to making Event, Site, and
>Officer information available electronically seem to assume that
>only perverts, zealots, and criminals use electronic access and
>everyone with a _Black Star_ subscription or access to it is a
>perfect law abiding citizen.

I'm only opposed to have maps and directions to events published. Also, to
having folk's personal information published without their permission.
A contact name(s) and number(s) are no problem as long as the people agreed
to there publication.

>Well, having just served as a group Seneschal, I can state that any
>number of unusual persons acquired my home phone number without
>resorting to electronic access.  Not that I ever recieved any
>deliberate crank calls, nor have I ever recieved any crank responses
>from my first web page I put up over 2 1/2 years ago.
>(http://www.pp.okstate.edu)

I've been an Officer or Deputy for 'bout 12 years now. Have received several
crank calls directly related to my SCA connection. Nothing serious though.
Other folk, on the other hand, have received some serious calls. Several folk
have gone through "Santanic/ritual child abuse" investigations because of their
connections with the SCA. (I think all of these cases were shown to be without
merit or substance.) However, all it takes is one or two fanatics to make
someone's life miserable.

>If you don't want crank phone calls, don't ever give anyone your
>phone number.  If we don't want to attract responsible individuals
>from our communities, we should hide our activities and refuse to
>openly discuss and display them to outsiders.  Zealots and criminals
>don't need electronic access to find you or your group or your
>events.  Your best protection is good relations with your local
>community groups, churches, and law enforcement.

I have given my phone number to any number of publications and such. However,
these publications were of _limited_ distribution. Yes, I agree that we need
to attract responsibile folk into our Society. No, we should not hide our
activities. Of course we should discuss and display our accomplishments to
"outsiders" (we were all outsiders once...*grin*). You are correct, zealots and
criminals don't "need" electronic access to find us, BUT, it can make it far
easier for them to do so. I ask only to limit the _kind_ of information we
publish on our Web pages. As Seneschal of my local group, Ravens Fort, many,
many years ago I helped establish the group with the local Chamber of
Commerce, the local Arts Association, the Texas Department of Transporation
(Adopt-a-Highway Program), and other worthy groups and causes. Public
limelight is a "Good Thing".

>Paul Shore                       | Email: shore at dcainc.com
>Development Engineer             | Phone: (918) 225-0346
>Doug Carson and Associates, Inc. |   Fax: (918) 225-1113
>1515 East Pine, Cushing OK 74023 |

With respect and in friendship...

Kief

"Maleus Potius Clavo..."