Origins was Re: SCA near Rice University?

Deborah Sweet dssweet at Okway.okstate.edu
Thu Aug 8 10:29:03 PDT 1996

>Zahra Zena.....reminiscing about youthful energy.....wrote:

>This helps support one of my theories that RenFaires, Gaming Cons,
>Universities, and Hobby stores are good place to invite newcomers to our
>ranks.

Don't forget general Science Fiction Conventions! That's where I first
fully came into contact with the SCA.

I & my brother (Ld George Michael Edmundson) were attending OKon '80
(the last one at the Mayo Hotel in downtown Tulsa). At the horrible time
of 9:00 AM there was a panel on some group called the S.C.A. We both
decided that it sounded interesting, so we went to it. It was a very
well attended panel. I think that (Mistress Talana the Violet) also
attended that panel. Surely some other Northkeepers got started there?

I'm not sure now who all was on the panel, but I remember a gentleman
that, I think, was Sir Frederick von Sternwald. He was wearing a floor
length, light green, velvet houppelande. Some mention was made of a
group in Stillwater, and since that was where I would be attending
college that fall, I decided to look for the group when I got there. And
it actually didn't take that long to find them - just two weeks. (After
finding the group at OSU, I realized that I had seen *many* of the same
people at OKon.)

Estrill.........reminiscing about bygone days as well

(finally after many years Mooneschadowe has some people over 30 - we're
the ones who haven't moved away after graduating!)