Origins

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Thu Aug 8 20:37:57 PDT 1996

>        Valhalla is what they call it (where souls of fried-brain academics
>>>gather following defeat in battle, is the logic, I think).
>>>
>>>D.st.D., Raven's Fort
>>
>>Unless they've changed things significantly since I was there (which is
>>possible, that *was* nearly 20 years ago) "Valhalla" is the graduate student
>>bar, under the stairs of the Chemistry Lecture Hall. "Willy's Pub" is for
>>the general populace, and is located in the basement of the student center,
>>near (but not actually under) the chapel.
>>
>>     -Tivar Moondragon
>>         (Baker '77)
>
>Funny how things go full circle.  There was a group of SCA'ers who
>originated at Rice about that time.  As I recall, it included Tivar,
>Vargskol, & Robin of Gilwell.

Not entirely correct. When I first encountered the SCA, they were holding
fighter practices at Rice on Sunday afternoons. Oddly enough, there was very
little interest from the student body (maybe 4 or 5 out of 2000). Robin
showed some interest, but didn't actually get active in the SCA until a few
years later, *after* he'd moved back to Dallas. Vargskol (Steve Jackson)
wasn't part of that group at all; he got into the SCA in Bryn Gwlad, to
learn more about medieval weapons and combat for his game designs.

     -Tivar Moondragon