What goes on the Web?

Jennifer Kubenka jkubenka at post.cis.smu.edu
Thu Aug 1 00:37:58 PDT 1996

On  1 Aug 96 at 7:20, Galen of Bristol wrote:

> Far more widely distributed than a WWW page (The Ansteorra page had
> just over a thousand hits when I last looked) is your name, phone
> number and address in the phone book.  If we're worrying about
> someone picking you out at random and victimizing you in some way,
> surely more wackos have phone books than WWW access.

I would also hasten to add that there are phone book access sites on
the WWW; I myself used one the other day to look up an old friend I
with whom I had lost contact.  The wonder of it all! I could access
any area's phone book, and search it! In the glory of the moment,
re-establishing a link, I did forget that what I could do in 10
seconds or less, anyone, from anywhere, could do to me.

> I welcome further discourse on this subject.
> - Galen

As the oft-quoted saying goes: I may not agree with what you have to
say, but I will defend unto death your right to say it.

I too, welcome discourse on this subject, one very near and dear to
my heart, as well as my profession.  I have strong feelings on this
subject, but I am always looking for a good discussion on this issue.
If this list is not appropriate, please feel free to email me
directly.

I sign this posting with my mundane name and position,

Jennifer D. Kubenka
Series Authority/Monographs Cataloger
Fondren Library
Southern Methodist University