Newbie stuff

Burke McCrory burkemc at ionet.net
Thu Aug 1 22:19:38 PDT 1996

At 05:13 PM 8/1/96 -0400, you wrote:

>>: I think that the ruling is to prevent "pugel stick" type blows. It is easy
>>: swing a two-headed 6' polearm like a "quarterstaff". Serious injury may
>>result.
>
>Question, newbie, type stupid, one ea.
>
>   What are the odds of somehow creating a quarterstaff that is safe for
>combat (light or heavy). I really like that type of fighting and while I
>understand the reasons behind it's not being allowed, I still wish it was
>possible.
>
>Lost

Most of the banned weapons styles like two-headed polearm, mace and chain,
etc.  were tried in the very earlest days of the SCA.  In most cases
expereance showed that these weapons and styles were too dangerous to allow.
While they might be fought safely in many cases it was just too easy for
them to become unsafe and result in injury in the heat of battle.  This is
the same reasoning we use to no try and recreate full speed combat from
houseback, it is just no possable to make it safe.

Sir Burke
Burke McCrory
burkemc at ionet.net
aka. Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald