Fear and Power

Keith Ewing keandbc at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 4 16:49:51 PDT 1996

Greetings, my friends.

I wish to speak on a subject that somewhat pertains to the Ansteorran
Website topic that we have been talking about. It also pertains to
current events in the world. It also has to do with my philosophy of
life.

I'm talking about random acts of violence from faceless antagonists
whose motives are incomprehensible to us. Some recent examples here in
our country: Flight 800 that blew up over Long Island, the bomb at the
Olympics, The Unabomber, the churches throughout the South, the Federal
Building in my home town.

It's not just bombs either. Two examples stick in my head because I was
close to them geographically when they happened. A man drove his truck
into a Luby's cafeteria in Killeen TX on Mother's Day, and shot and
killed several people. Another man walked into his place of employment
(the post office) in Edmond Ok and blew away several of his coworkers.
On a smaller scale are all the stalkers, gangbangers, and serial
killers.

All of these things tend to promote a feeling of fear. We have other
fears that are not quite so violent but are still legitamate. We fear
anonymous harrassing phone callers, pedophiles, irate religious right
wingers, satanic cults, the IRS, the FBI... the list goes on.

All of these faceless antagonists have one thing in common. They want
to control our lives. They want some measure of power over our lives.
My message is this: DON"T GIVE THEM THAT POWER!

It is rational to fear these people. I'm not saying that you shouldn't
fear them. I'm saying that the brave thing to do is to not let them
affect the way you live or your outlook on life. Bravery is not
fearlessness. It is facing your fear and fighting it. Don't let them
control you.

Be brave, my friends.

Kein MacEwan

mka Keith Ewing