Having Rules online

Chris Walden cmwalden at bga.com
Sun Aug 4 19:48:29 PDT 1996

> From:          stddly at SHSU.edu
> -The documents produced by the Kingdom cost to copy and cost to mail
> -Also occaisionally there is a surcharge that goes to support the
> -office involved. This is needed because our Kingdom has no regular
> -source of revenue. If we do not support some aspects of Kingdom
> -offices we restrict the holding of those offices to those able -to
> pay for them or those willing to go in debt for them.

I think you've been making your position clear, Lorraine.  I'm just
not sure if everyone is in agreement with it.  I think there is a
historical understanding that the SCA core functions primarily by
paper-pushing.  I think what you are seeing is a challenge to that
premise.

Otto is the Central Regional Rapier Marshal.  Before that, he had my
job as Bryn Gwlad Rapier Marshal.  We spoke about ways to get the
info out for quite some time before he actually made arrangements to
get the info on line.

The problem was that all of this information was available through
all of the normal hard copy resources, but people were not going to
the effort that it took to get it.  Now we could create rules to make
sure that people got the current info.  We could set up a rule that
says that in order for your fighter authorization to be renewed you
had to show proof of ownership of an official copy of the latest
version of the Ansteoran rules.  However, an approach like that cut
out some folks and someone would eventually say that we were only
trying to pad the pockets of the chronicler's office.  The answer was
that this information had to be available to everyone, now, with no
more excuses.  The Internet was the closest enhancement to the
current system that Otto could come up with without additional pocket
expenses.  It has been helpful to some people and in the long run
will help many.

If our offices require more than volunteerism are some of our methods
arcane and more to tradition than to their purpose?  This is an
important question.  Providing info like this is a needed thing.  If
serving that need causes changes we should try to meet the changes.

I'm in the SCA because I want to be Antoine, not because I don't have
sufficient administrative outlets in my mundane life.

Antoine Sebastien Dore
Alden's